Friday 1 May 2009

The Leader of a People is Their Servant

"Two friends, Abdullah and Abu Ali Rabati once started on a journey. Abdullah said to Rabati, 'You are my leader'. Rabati said to Abdullah, 'You are my leader'. [Eventually,] Abdullah was made leader of the two. Thereafter he carried his own luggage and the luggage of Rabati upon his back. One night there fell profuse rain. Abdullah held a blanket over his companion for the whole night. Whenever Rabati said 'Don't do it', Abdullah said 'Have you not selected me as your leader? So don't order me and don't do other than what I order you to do'. Rabati then said, 'I wished then that I were dead and that I did not say to him:You are my leader'."

(Source: Ihya Ulum-id-Din, Rules and Regulations of Journey)

Awesome awesome example.

No comments: