Wednesday 3 December 2008

Practising Arabic

"Hazrat Maulana Syed Asghar Hussain Sahib (Allah's Mercy be upon him) was a man of extraordinary spiritual qualities, and I was blessed with his loving affection. One day I presented myself to him and he said, 'Today let us talk in Arabic'. This rather amazed me because he had never before expressed such a desire. He then himself stated the reason why he wished to converse in Arabic. He said, 'Neither you nor I are able to speak Arabic fluently and freely, so we will talk less'. He then continued, 'Our case is like that of a traveller whose money is about to finish so he spends every penny very carefully'."

(Source: 'The World Within' by Mufti Muhammad Shafi (Allah's Mercy be upon him))

This quote is about avoiding meaningless talk. But it got me thinking nonetheless: It's been a long time since I spoke in Arabic (beyond "kayfa haaluk" and "alhamdulillah"). Maybe over a year. I really urgently need to find me an Arabic speaking partner.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I know an older man who wanted the exact thing. Let me know if you would you like me to put you in touch with him.

adil said...

lol, thanks for the thought. I meant for me to make agreement with those (classical!) Arabic speakers who I bump into day to day to (try!) converse with them in Arabic only. Jazaak Allahu Khairan.

adil said...

I read Qur'an with an Arab brother every Saturday and Sunday after Fajr prayer. Today, whilst we were talking (in English) after our reading, it suddenly dawned on me: "limaa natakallamu bi-al-inkileeziyyah?! anta tastaTee3u an tatakallama bi-al-lughati-al-3arabiyyati and anaa a7taaju ilayhaa!" I suppose the easy part is having an urge to start something. The difficult part is maintaining it.

Anonymous, about the man you suggested, that would be useful but I am reluctact because I know I would not be able to maintain it and there are already enough people in my life that I disappoint. As I said previously, I need to make speaking (thinking even!) in Arabic a part of my daily routine.

Anonymous said...

No worries, :). Enjoy, it's a beautiful language.