Monday 25 February 2008

When the world comes knocking at your door...

"Rabia-b-Asem said: Caliph Yezid sent me once to Abu Hanifa and he wanted to appoint him as cashier of the state treasury. On his refusal to accept the post, he was given twenty stripes.
...
It is narrated that he (Imam Abu Hanifa) was once offered the post of chief justice of the state, but he said: 'I am not fit for this post.' When he was asked about the reason, he said: 'If I have told the truth, it is good for the post: and if I have told a lie, I am unfit for that post as I am a liar.'"

(Source: Imam Ghazali's Ihya Ulum-id-Deen)

A great Imam, a great ascetic, a God-fearing man,
good in character, good in conduct, good in deed;
seeking the pleasure of the One Most High,
eternal and absolute, as He is;
fleeing from the prizes of this world,
temporary and unfulfilling, as they are;
preferring a king's punishment
to that of the kingdom's Possessor.
May Allah have Mercy on him and us all.

No comments: