Thursday 21 June 2007

Taqwa

"The root meaning of Taqwa is to avoid what one dislikes. It was reported that Umar bin Al-Khattaab asked Ubayy bin Ka'b about Taqwa. Ubayy said, 'Have you ever walked on a path that has thorns on it?' Umar said, 'Yes.' Ubayy said, 'What did you do then?' He said, 'I rolled up my sleeves and struggled.' Ubayy said, 'That is Taqwa.'" (Tafsir Ibn Kathir)

Guidance to know the path, Taqwa to walk its rugged stretch.
Struggling through, Shunning doubt.
Holding out, Having faith.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jazak Allah for the reminder. I read somewhere that you have taqwa if you are able to put all your actions onto a plate and show it to people and not be ashamed of anything on it.

adil said...

sub7aana-Allah, we all slip and have our shortcomings, how fortunate we are repentance is something we can present on our plate.

Anonymous said...

You know what, I'm so happy you wrote that; everytime I think of this analogy of taqwa, I remember how much I've screwed up and so clearly wouldn't be offering my plate to anyone to view, but alhamdullillah, you're so right. Here's hoping..
May God conceal our sins in this world and in the hereafter.